May 19, 2010

scary times

I don't mean to offend anyone at all by this post... but lately divorce has been on my mind. Before everyone panics.. it's because so much has been going on around me and it scares me. I have friends from church, work, family that they are going through divorces right now or just went through it.

i talk to cory about it all the time, because my heart is so sad when i hear another marriage didn't last and I can't help but think Satan is winning right now. i feel like i need to be a better mom, and a better wife, and i should read my scriptures more and pray and go to the temple more just to try and avoid this plague of divorce.

i pray for those that are going through this trial especially when children are involved. and i just hope and pray that my marriage can last during these times that satan is working so hard to make sure that it wont.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Its really interesting that you posted that because that has been on my mind as well.. I just found out yesterday that another couple that were in Alans and my ward up in Rexburg got a divorce, this would be the 3rd one. My parents are also in the middle of one..
Talking to Alan about it, he just told me if I was scared about it to never let it be an option. To never let that thought cross through my mind no matter how bad things and how hard things might get. So simple and yet so true.. if you never allow yourself to consider it an option you will be more willing to work on things before you would even get to that point!
Sorry for the ramblings.. as Ive said its been on my mind as well.

Jenna Anderson said...

Steph, I know what you mean!! Satan is totally working hard! It really is all around us! But don't dwell on it. Marriage is hard work, and as long as you are willing to always put in that work, you will be blessed!

Terri Lindsay said...

I know what you mean! Just last year Preston had a sister and brother get divorced, and i had a bother get divorced as well. All Have Kids, and all were married from 5-12years, and in the Temple. And Preston has another brother that might be getting a divorce! I couldn't believe it. It has been a real eye opener for us, and we have been able to stand back and say what could we be doing better. I know so much more about divorce that I never wanted to know. It just brakes my heart to see the kids suffer like that. But it is a good reminder that it could happen to anyone, if your not working everyday on you marriage, and It really comes down to the little things. The little things really make a difference, like a little love note every once in awhile.

Lara Zierke said...

Divorce scares me to death now that I have a child. Justin and I talk about it sometimes too, and I think that helps. Knowing that it's not this taboo thing. Not like we talk about divorcing, just that we talk about how marriages crumble away.

I like that line from Run Away Bride when Richard Gere is proposing and says something like, "At one point or another, we'll both want out, but I promise to always stick through it." I think it's important to realize that problems exist and it's not always peaches and cream, but to keep the commitment alive. And nothing helps us better than the gospel.