May 24, 2010

things you learn about

So Cory and I are new parents. And with that we gets to experience things together. Such as... What to buy, and where to buy.

1) we new Joslyn liked riding in the car so we decided to buy this really cute portable swing from Target. It's very gender neutral, and is outdoorsy looking. So we saw it and bought it on a whim without doing any research on it. we had to buy weird size huge expensive batteries, but Joslyn loved it. then one day it stopped working. We figured oh, its out of batteries, so we go to target and buy more random sized expensive batteries. We put it in and it still doesn't work. We have only used it maybe two months and now its just a swing chair that you have to push to make it swing. LAME!

2) i bought a really cute play mat from target (online). It wasn't available in the stores. Again very gender neutral but way trendy looking. I really bought it because it had a giraffe toy that played music. Well when I got it the giraffe didn't play music. I called Target and they couldn't do anything for me because it was a hot item and so i could either return it or they could give me a $5 credit. I took the credit, called infantino and they wrote down my information and sent me a replacement giraffe that played music within a week. oh and two weeks later I ended up getting fraud on my bank account and they asked if I had done any online shopping.. only target.com

3) I think Josie might be teething. She still is a pretty good baby, but she has been drooling a lot, bites on everything, chews to soothe and only one night the only thing that comforted her was baby oragel, but ever since she has been normal. So I decided to buy some baby oragel and baby teething tablets rather than borrow my friends. Well I was soo excited to go to Toys-R-Us and buy all my babys needs: 1st time veggie purees, baby teething tablets, baby oragel, etc. Well, i found out that i paid $1.48 for baby food at toys-R-Us that cost only .48 at Wal-Mart and when i came home the baby teething tablets were not in the box. Somebody must have shop lifted and I was the shmoe that bought and empty box.

So the moral of this story... research your items before purchasing rather than buying a whim, go directly to the manufacturer because target.com customer service sucks, check your boxes before buying anything especially if they seem oddly light, and last wal-mart is usually cheaper. I guess you have to go through these kinds of things to be a parent helps us become wise i guess.

2 comments:

Odelsa said...

If I may, I have one suggestion.
Talk around, see what people use, ask lots of questions and where are the best places to find these things...your friends are always happy to answer questions.

I found that with babies, it's easier to keep things simple. But there are times when expensive things break, like a lame swing or a REALLY expensive trendy mobile that only played classical music for a week and died(so annoying)...yes we have been there.

Good luck next time!!

Lara Zierke said...

We had issues with our swing's motor too. And we had bought it used off Craigslist. But the manufacturer replaced it for free. Something I've learned - even when a store won't do anything, the manufacturer often will.

That sucks about the empty box of Orajel.