December 10, 2010

I am Thankful!

Now that I am serving in the YW I get to teach and listen to other lessons that are amazing. Last week was on optimism. After the wonderful lesson that our president gave I decided to be more optimistic and complain less... lets just say that on day 1 I failed that new goal. I had a self-pity moment that lasted about 2 in a half days. Eventually I got through this week and I was able to get last minute items done for Joslyn's early 1 year birthday party (I will post about her party soon).

I'm trying to prepare for this Sunday's lesson for my girls and it's on Gratitude and Appreciation. Perfect.... I failed last weeks lesson so maybe round two I can be better. Well I cam across a wonderful poem from sugardoodle.net and the poem was talking about my house and pathetic trials, but is how I ought to be thinking more. I hope you all enjoy it, it really lifted me spirit up!

Lord, thank you for this sink of dirty dishes;

We have plenty of food to eat.

Thank you for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry;

We have plenty of nice clothes to wear.

And I would like to thank you, Lord, for those unmade beds;

They were so warm and comfortable last night.

I know that many have no bed.

My thanks to you, Lord, for this bathroom,

Complete with all the splattered mirrors, soggy, grimy towels and dirty lavatory;

They are so convenient.

Thank you for this finger-smudged refrigerator that needs defrosting so badly;

It has served us faithfully for many years.

It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers for two or three meals.

Thank you, Lord, for this oven that absolutely must be cleaned today.

It has baked so many things over the years.

The whole family is grateful for that tall grass that needs mowing,

The lawn that needs raking;

We all enjoy the yard.

Thank you, Lord, even for that slamming screen door.

My kids are healthy and able to run and play.

Lord, the presence of all these chores awaiting me says

You have richly blessed my family.

I shall do them cheerfully and I shall do them gratefully.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Stefanie! What a great thought.

Rachel Schanz said...

This is an awesome poem, thanks Stef. Pictures coming soon :)