March 13, 2010

Back at Work

So my first day back at work was Thursday. I'm glad I started on a Thursday rather than a Monday for a few reasons. I didn't like being away from Josie that long, and she is just now learning how to take a bottle, and last because I just need to learn how to juggle one more thing in my life.

Now I was surprised that my first day back wasn't as hard or as bad as I had envisioned it. Everyone says that they cry on their first day back. But I didn't. I came very close but not for the same reason as those other women. It was actually fun to see everyone again, to socialize with grown-ups and with my friends. Its great to know that I am responsible for projects and to get recognized for the accomplishments (it's harder to get a pat on the back for raising a child, or cooking a meal, or keeping the house clean). So there are some great pluses to being at work. Now of course I missed my daughter and I thought of her the whole time, but I wanted to work harder at work so I could go back to her.

Now back to the part where I almost cried.... I Felt kind of weird asking my supervisor but I had to ask.. where am I supposed to pump? Now Wed. night Sis. Wittwer in my ward told me that by law the company has to provide a place, so I was curious to see where that pumping place was. Well I was told to go to our Koala Kids Academy. So I walked over there and asked where I could pump. I pumped, and when I got out of the door, the lady told me I couldn't occupy that room anymore and find another location. I understood of course, but with my hormones all wacky I had to hold back the tears. I mean I'm already feeling embarrassed about pumping milk out of my chest like a cow, and now I'm getting kicked out. So I called HR, and they old me that the designated area to pump was the women's IT Bathroom. I couldn't handle it. Maybe I"m making it a bigger thing than I should, But I feel like for one, there is no privacy for pumping, I don't like to expose my chest to everyone, and second I don't want poo particles flying into my babies milk that will be going into her mouth. And yes poo particles are real just watch Mythbusters. So I emailed HR asking if there was anywhere else that was private and sanitary for me to pump. they told me the best place was the bathroom, and if I wanted I could find a conference room that locks and schedule it a little bit, or the tanning room in the gym. Well I found a place across the street. There is our recording studio building and they have two single bathrooms with a lock. I figured that was better than a bathroom with a bunch of stalls, and no on e is going to the bathroom, and I'm by myself and when you turn the light on a loud fan noise turns on too so I know no one outside can hear the pump. I emailed the guy in charge over there and he said I was welcomed to use their place anytime, which made me smile.

But I was curious how other moms felt, because I know I'm not the only person who has gone through this. My friend Liz at work told me that a bunch of girls use the Tanning room in the gym, or they use on of the shower stalls and turn the water on so no one can hear. She told me to hang in there, because a lot of mom's at our work end up quitting pumping because it's so complicated at our work area, and end up feeding their babies formula. she told me that it's hard, but think of your baby. I was glad that I wasn't alone, and that there are some places that we can pump. HR did say that someday if Melaleuca build a new place, they are going to build a room specifically for woman to pump and breast feed their babies. So I know they are are trying and that they are doing the best that they can with the current resources, but I have to say it day make going back to work a little more dramatic than I would have liked.

Well that is the update. Cory wanted to see if I would like to play soccer this summer on a women's league. The only problem is that they play monday nights.. the same time Cory plays on his men's league. I lve soccer, but if I played we would have to get a babysitter. And where I don't get to see her all day, I don't want to get a babysitter on top of the 8 hours I'm missing out on. So for the first time ever, I'm retiring my cleats.. at least for now. I'll have to become the worlds best wife cheerleader/mom at the same time.

4 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

It was really fun to see you at work. I've missed you!

I felt the same way about coming back to an enjoyable job. I like the socializing and accomplishments. And sometimes I still feel guilty about enjoying my job. If only I could work part time... that'd be the ticket!

Rachel Schanz said...

pumpimg can be a lot of work and frustrating, but hang in there! it's so worth it!

Peterson Family said...

I'm sorry! So, I've never gone back to work where I have to pump but I've had to try and find somewhere to pump in public or nurse in public and it can be so stinkin' hard. It seems like everyone looks at you funny and it's just so uncomfortable and embarrassing (but I've got past that--I mean a baby's got to eat right)! I just wish that nursing and pumping was a bit more accepted by people. I mean isn't it natural?! Whatever! And in other country's women don't even cover up when nursing they just pull it out and feed there baby whenever no matter the age!! Good luck with it all! And hang in there! You are strong and I know you can do anything!

Robert and Stacey Hall Family said...

I would offer to babysit Josie while you played soccer, you know how much I love babies. I just don't know if we will be moving or not. I will call you though.