February 21, 2010

Big Dogs with Babies

People ask me a lot... "How is Brom with the baby?" I have to tell you Cory and I ( mainly me) were nervous about bringing a baby home when we have a big dog as an indoor pet in our house. Don't get me wrong, Brom is a great dog and everything. But he can get pretty hyper, and his big body just gets in the way sometimes.

Well before Cory brought the baby home he did everything we read about to do before she came home. Cory took Brom on a long run to get his energy out, and than gave him a bath. Cory brought something from the baby to Brom so he could get use to the scent of the baby. We introduced the baby to brom while she was still in her car seat. We had him behind a gate for a long time and slowly allowed him more and more time with the family and baby.

And with all that he did pretty good with the baby. The things though that surprised me was, him barking at some people when they would come visit the baby. He was very protective of her. Or that he sleeps in the hallway between our room and the babies room to look after us all during the night. (one of my favorite thing, was before Josie started sleeping through the night she would wake up every 3 hours like clock work. And I would be dead tired but still woke up and Brom would get up and lay down in fron tof Josie's room, sometimes even lay down in her room by my feet while I was bursing her, and getting her ready to go back to bed. I don't know why, but it seemed to help me, because I knew I wasn't the only one not sleeping all the way through the night.) Or getting me when the baby is crying, or doing tummy time with Josie. He really is a sweet dog, and a great family dog. Now even though I think he does really well with Josie, and I am so relieved he is being gentle and not too hyper around the baby, I still NEVER leave those two in the same room together EVER. I mean he still is an animal so you never know, but overall I do really trust him with her, when Cory and I are around. So I Hope you enjoy the pictures that I have taken of Brom and the Baby.

I posed Brom and the Baby. ha ha!


Brom and Josie doing tummy time



7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen! I had a dog who was protective like that when I was little and she was my best friend! Im sure Josie and Brom will become the best of friends. The pictures are adorable!

Terri Lindsay said...

I love it! That is so much fun.

Lara Zierke said...

My big dog get really protective of our baby too. I think it is so sweet. Whenever I bring her home after work both dogs have to come and say hello to her in the car seat before they're ready to go outside or do their own dog things.

I love your new blog layout. Really cool.

The Hess Family said...

You are brave. I never realized Brom was so big! Josie is growing so fast- what a cutie!

Peterson Family said...

Oh that's so stinkin' cute!

Hilary said...

I just teared up reading this! I hope my big dog is just as sweet.

You'll like this: It's my English friend's baby and one of their Airedales.

Hilary said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDrdF1czlng&feature=related#watch-main-area Oops here's the link