December 9, 2009

38 weeks


Today I am 38 weeks pregnant. the last two times that i have gone to the doctors office i have been disappointed. Not because of them, but because i get my hopes up. i would love to have this baby, but i know i need to at least wait till my mom flies in from Oklahoma on the 15th. But i was hoping that i had at least started dilating some more since last time. But NO! I'm exactly the same place i was last week the size of a finger nail. I still have not started having any contractions, but i have been cramping a ton- which they say is good. I just want to start having the signs and symptoms like I'm supposed to. I know tons of people are are stuck at a two a month before their due date and I'm two weeks away from mine and my body acts like it wants to be pregnant forever. Hmmm... this is very frustrating. But at the same time, the closer everything is getting the more excited and super nervous I'm beginning to be. We packed our Hospital bags for Family Home Evening. So that is all ready- but i doubt we'll be in a rush of hurry like i always figured we would be. I bet i will end up being induced on my due date, and i won't get to experience the part of pregnancy that you get scared and nervous about, but excited at the same time. I know its a funny thing to want, but i just wanted this one thing to be normal about my pregnancy, and feel the things that everyone talks about. Enough venting. Here are the stats from today's office visit:
  • BP: 120/70
  • weight gain: 1 pound
  • Baby's heart beat: Great
  • belly measurement: Great
  • Dilated: 1 fingernails width AKA Nothing!
  • Aprox. Due date: Still Dec. 23rd.

I told the doctor that if i have not already had the baby, that i want to be induced by my due date and no later. But I want to try some natural ways to help speed the process up a bit. So if anyone has any suggestions to get me into labor that won't hurt the baby, I'm all ears!!!

8 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

The night before my water broke, I ate taco bell. I was dialated to 1cm for about 3 weeks before my due date and when we went into the hospital after my water broke, I was still at a 1. It was a looooong day. I also walked a ton. I tried to walk everyday. I had lots of back pain so walking was pretty painful, but I did the best I could! Doctors haven't proved it, but getting it on...LOL...is supposed to help. At 38+ weeks preggo thats the last thing you wanna do!!!

Lara Zierke said...

I'm the last person to give advice, but here goes. Bowl. Jump on a trampoline. Go off-roading. Jabenero peppers. Castor oil. And like Mrs. Briggs said, get up close and personal with your hubby.

Odelsa said...

you are so funny...walking helps and there are a few other things but I can't post them on here ;)

Baby will be here in no time, and don't worry, you wont be pregnant forever!

The Gotch Family said...

I was dilated to only a 1 or 2, was induced, and had twins 5 hours later. My advice is to not stress about it. I also recommend you have your membranes stripped, this has helped a lot of people I know (a little crampy and painful but totally worth it).
Don't take castor oil (my mom did that with a few of her kids and it resulted in no labor, but lots of discomfort :). That's great that they will induce you on your due date.
For the record, most people's water doesn't break unexpectedly. They are usually well into labor before it breaks (or is broken by the doctor). So you are completely normal :)

Robert and Stacey Hall Family said...

I am so excited for you. I told you what worked for me, so if you try it I hope it works. If you stress to much though you might make it so you wont go into labor. You will do great and just think when your mom gets hear I can try and give you nice foot massage! LOL

Unknown said...

hot and spicy things and walking.. and someone said have your membranes stripped..
for me though I had to be induced.. but there are ways they can do it with out pitocin to make it a little more natural. When they admit you can place this thing in you almost like a little water balloon and that helps you dialate and then after they can break your water. As soon as they broke my water I progressed really fast. Best of luck!

Meagan said...

I didn't dilate quickly, like not at all before labor, so don't feel like you're not normal. It'll probably take a while so be sure and bring snacks for your husband. I would suggest getting intimate with your hubby and walking is always good. And don't worry about the water breaking, personally I loved that they broke my water at the hospital because we didn't have a mess to clean up before heading to the hospital! Good luck!

derrickandlisadye said...

Oh Steph. I really don't have much advice. I did everything and Indiya came when she was ready, a week late. I hope you go naturally though cause it was a million times better experience than being induced. But everyone is different so I hope whatever happens, it is perfect and wonderful for you! Best of luck. Oh and my sister's birthday is the 23rd and so is Joseph Smith's so it's a great day to be born! Best wishes!!