December 10, 2009

Strep B Test

So the past two appointments that I have gone to the doctor I keep forgetting to ask if I tested positive or negative for Strep B. I had heard that if you test positive that not only do you need to take the antibiotics, but they make you stay in the hospital for at least 2 days. Well since Cory and I decided that we want to be induced on my due date if I haven't had the baby already, I was thinking that I could potentially still be in the hospital on Christmas day. So today I remembered (with the help of a friendly reminder form my husband) to finally call the doctor and find out.

I called and asked the front desk receptionist if she could look into my file and tell me if I tested Positive or Negative. She said Negative!!!! I cheered on the phone, and she asked me if I tested positive before and I said " No, this is my first baby", but I was so excited that I won't be held up at the hospital just because of some test. So hopefully Baby and I will just stay healthy and strong so we can at least be home before night time on Christmas Eve!

5 comments:

Rosie Boren said...

that will be such a nice christmas present. i am so jealous of you! time flies, i can't believe the due date is here. i can't wait to see this little sayre.

rosie

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

I was strep b positive. It didn't bother me one bit staying in the hospital another night. It was nice to relax and get taken care of! My hubby Ryan's b-day is on the 23rd and he was brought home from the hospital in a stocking!! So cute!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize you had to stay extra long if you were positive.. I wasn't.. I stayed two nights though anyways. 1 bc I had him at 5pm at night and 2.. it took them forever to test his blood to see if I needed the 2nd Rh shot (Im O- and he turned out being O+)
enjoy your time in the hospital relaxing.. i did!

Jenna Anderson said...

Hey! I was strep B positive with BOTH our girls. And I stay LESS than 24 hours with Isabelle. I never heard you HAD to stay two nights. I just heard you have to be on IV antibiotics a minimum of 4 hours before the actual birth. Maybe thats what it is, if you aren't on antibiotics long enough first, you have to stay two nights? I don't know, but I know I was positive with Isabelle and we left the hospital about 18 hours after she was born. So excited for you!! Can't wait to see pics.
-Jenna

Leah said...

I too was Strep B positive. All it means is that the strep bacteria naturally lives in your body, and it doesn't harm you but may be transferred to the baby as it passes through the birth canal (I think it might cause blindness). Since I tested positive with my first baby, that means I will need the antibiotics with all my deliveries because the bacteria doesn't ever go away. It isn't a big deal; I didn't stay two days longer with either of my babies. You just get antibiotics four hours before delivery, and they keep tabs on the baby afterwards to check for symptoms. Since you tested negative, you most likely will not have to worry about it with any of your pregnancies, although they test each time to be sure.

Anyway, good luck and congratulations! I am sure everything will be fine and you are going to make such a great mom!